Saturday, November 22, 2008

Exporting, Hotspots, & Slices

I just finished learning how to create hotspots and slices and how to export and optimize Fireworks’ graphics and web pages. This was by far the newest section of the course for me and the most time consuming, but I think I came out with a pretty good grasp on how to ready my Fireworks’ creations for posting on the web. I wouldn’t say that any part was either obvious or too difficult to understand.

I took my time going through the lessons and assignments and doubled over sections that didn’t make much sense at first. I like the fact that you can see right on the screen how the changes you make when optimizing affect the quality and size of an image. This helps a web developer visualize exactly what viewers will see when surfing to his/her website and how quickly their site will load.

It’s a good idea to consider people with lower speed internet connections when optimizing. You have to find a healthy balance between quality and performance. Overall, the last few lessons were very informative and interesting for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The live preview for optimizing is very useful. The number one problem my face-to-face students have is that they'll forget to look at the preview and apply optimizations blindly-- forgetting that the image continues to look the same in the regular view!

Glad we're getting into things that are newer for you...