Saturday, October 11, 2008

Wedding Plans & Cooking on Saturdays

Currently I'm working full time, going to school part time, and preparing to get married in two months. Sometimes it feels like there's not enough hours in the day to do everything I need to and maybe add in a few things I want to. I occasionally joke to my fiancé that once we're married we'll actually be able to get a good night's sleep. I'm amazed at how much is involved with planning a wedding. There's the church, the officiator, the reception, the church decorations, the reception decorations, the dance floor, the flowers, the wedding dress, the wedding party's dresses and tuxes, my tux, the rings, the wedding license, the honeymoon plans, the food for the reception, the guest list, the invitation, the pictures for the invitations, the gift registering... the list seems to go on and on. I think if I ever had to plan a wedding I'd pull my hair out! Thankfully her and her mom are planning everything and I don't have to think too much about most of this. I just help out where I'm needed and give my opinion when asked...isn't that the purpose of the man anyways? It's all coming together nicely and ahead of schedule, as her and her mom are both really organized and not into procrastinating.

I've never worked fulltime while taking classes, but I'm doing surprisingly well. Well, for one, I'm only taking two classes, but still there are times when I feel short on time. I don't have internet access at home, and while most assignments I can write down and complete at home, when I do need the internet I have to find time to bring my laptop to the library. This isn't so bad, but right now I'm working at 11:00 AM on weekdays and the library doesn't open until 10:00 AM. So this gives me an hour to work on internet work, which is sometimes enough time and sometimes not enough time. I could go by the library after work too, but I’m usually in a rush to get home and see my finance. Thankfully, I don't work on Saturdays so I can use most of that day to finish up the week's assignments.

I also cook for my finance Saturday nights usually. It's kind of a tradition of ours right now. She cooks for me on Mondays, which is one of her days off, and I cook for her on Saturdays. Other days we usually eat leftovers. Her meals are always so much better than mine, but I can cook some pretty yummy stuff none-the-less. I usually do schoolwork for half of the day on Saturday and then switch gears to planning out our meal for that night. And then I also have to make time for doing any laundry that needs to be done and vacuuming or cleaning, since Saturday is usually my cleaning day.

I found a recipe for Black Bean & Pumpkin Soup I'm going to try making tonight. I've never made it, but the recipe sounds good so we'll see. It'll definitely be high in fiber, not sure why that matters. We both love pumpkin and it's getting to be that time of years when pumpkin pies and pumpkin rolls and similar things like yams and sweet potatoes fill the air of homes with delicious aromas that distract us from the bitter cold that lurks outside our doors and windows, waiting for a chance to chill us to the bone. Maybe I'll pick up some wine to go with it. Red or white? It's a good day when that's the biggest decision I have to make. When I don't have to fret over choosing between who will run this country; a man with good ideas that never tells them, or a man with naive' ideas that won't stop telling them. But that's another subject entirely. I'll let you decide which man is which.

No comments: