Friday, October 3, 2008

Real Problem 4-1, Another Corrupted Installation

I'm not sure if this is an error in the textbook, or if the instructor even knows about it, but this problem is exactly identical to Real Problem 2-1 on page 106. If this was purposefully done and I am supposed to talk more about corrupted Windows installations, then I would have to point out that there is nothing in chapter five about installing Windows or dealing with a corrupted OS.

What I can talk about, however, is actions that should've been taken long before the problem even arose. This chapter does talk about backing up data and planning for disaster recovery. I would of backed up all of Jason's files and information as well as his system information in anticipation of an OS corruption, crashed hard drive, or any other computer emergency. Since it's not good to back up data on only one form of media, I would backup on CD's and also on an external hard drive. Back-ups can either be done manually or automatically on scheduled periods via the Backup Utility.

With all of Jason's data backed up, I can work on his corrupted system or his hard drive without fear of anything being lost. To ensure the least possible "tragedy", data should be backed up frequently, more frequently depending on the importance of the data.

No comments: